Monday, September 17, 2007

My Other Running Log

As marathon training enters it's 8th week, I can last longer out there, but I'm sure not getting faster. Not even in the shortest distance. That brutal reality hit home when I crossed the finish line last weekend in my 5K Corporate Challenge in 25:38. That's slower than the first 5K I ran this year, back in March. Plus, it was held on a Sunday, so I had to choose between a 5K race and a 14-mile LSD run. Right, some decisions are just too easy.

That might explain why I continue to flirt with missing most of my pace run target times. My EZ runs are no gimmes either. In their place, I've decided to enjoy what I can from my runs ...

... like last week, when I was in-and-out of Washington D.C., and managed to get in 2 early morning runs. Yes, it was tough getting up at essentially 4:30 AM CST, but there was no other way. On Tuesday, I did about 4 miles from Dupont Circle to the Washington Monument and back. It was 9-11, and it was a bit sobering to see all the flags at half-mast encircling the monument. On Wednesday, I extended the run to reach Congress before turning back, for about 7 miles.

Everything's relative, but I don't travel as much as I used to. When I think of all the places I've been, there's a slew of run-of-the-mill impersonal nameless faceless places interspersed with an occasional spectacular 5-star locale. The views from my hotel window are like a running log ;-) of my life on the road. All exist now only in my fading memory, except that I started keeping track of them here. Better late than never.

10 comments:

Runner Susan said...

You are doing awesome!

I hope to see you Saturday.

Anne said...

I did something similar with views from various hotels on my cell phone. They do blend together after awhile unless you archive them properly. I like your idea better than mine. And, don't worry: the pace will pick up.

Rae said...

Oh how fun! If I ever see a Nashville one and haven't had a call from you I am going to be MAD!!!

Keep up the running, the pace will happen.

jeanne said...

yeah, thanks AGAIN for meeting up to run with me! If I were you Rae, I wouldn't hold my breath!
:)

who knows why these slumps happen. if i ever climb out of mine i'll give you a call.

meanwhile: re: your other site. way cool. i guess boys need a hobbies!

David said...

sounds like you're having a typical long runners hiccup with short distance racing. It just doesn't rev that fast.

peter said...

Pretty nice way to keep track of where you been. All the rooms I get are on the ground floor (government rate) so there's never a view to take a picture of. I'm convinced that trainng for marathons trains you to run slow.

Thanks for your support in Chicago!

Rhea said...

I like your blog of hotel rooms. I wish I had that idea when I started traveling 7 years ago for my (now former) job. And re 5K: You're doing fine. But if you want to step it up, go to the track! You'll get speedy in no time.

Anonymous said...

Great window views.

massoman said...

don't sweat the pace to much. keep working on the base and the speed will come.

Iron Jayhawk said...

Aww...keep it up. We all have running slumps where we're sluggish.


And next time you're in Chicago, let us know. We can gather some of the running bloggers here for drinks or something.