Saturday, March 03, 2007

1st 5K

Just over 8 months to the day since my last 5K. With marathon training last year, I passed on the fall racing season, reserving my weekends for long runs instead.

I stepped to the starting line at 8:30 am for the RHS 5K. It was in the low 40's, brilliant sunshine, but nail-biting wind. I was in shorts, long sleeved tech shirt, long sleeved light running top, shivering and regretting that I decided not to bring a pair of gloves. When the race finally started though, it felt just fine.

It was a small race of about 500 runners. Started at a high school, ran through the neighborhood, and ended up back at school for a 3/4 loop on the stadium track. Given my near total lack of preparation, I was happy with my time. 25:37.


After the race, I high tailed it back for Sydney's soccer match. I don't remember the last time we lost this season, including mowing down a bunch of all-boy teams, but they had a tough fight today. Sydney scored our only goal, and the other team, well, had a few more.

Nevertheless, a nice start to a weekend. Beats sitting around at home watching cartoons and chowing down on donuts!

16 comments:

susie said...

Great time! And yay for the soccer goal. A successful weekend all around:)

Rhea said...

But donuts are so yummy! Hey, good time for the 5K - esp. since you didn't train for it.

Anne said...

Temps in the 40s are ideal -- once you get going in a race. Until then, it's shiver me timbers. Nice job on the 5k and on Sydney's soccer goal. That must be one athletic family you got there.

Old School Runner said...

Sounds like good conditions for a race. Glad to hear your flight to Toronto got canceled. I read they canceled school in some areas. If that happens in Canada, it must be a real storm!

Rae said...

Great job on the race!!!!

Personally I prefer donuts to gu. =)

jeanne said...

Nice! and way to go on your kid's goal!

I can never figure out what combo of clothes, hats, gloves is going to work. It never fails that I'm overdressed, but wind can be cruel.

donuts...you had to mention that word, didn't you.
:)

David said...

Good job on the 5K. Please pass me a Boston Creme.

Ryan V. said...

Welcome back to the land of the running. Now you need to start your training for the inaugural El Scorcho 50K race in July. At the very least, you should come out for the 25K.

Deene said...

excellent time on 5k with hardly any training.

Ginger Breadman said...

Great race! And nice multitasking as a parent - I love soccer - Sydney sounds like a little pro player.

Joe said...

That's certainly respectable time. I know what you are saying about 5K's getting in the way of training. I've been skipping them for awhile too. I've proven myself at that distance and the 10K distance. Now it's time to prove myself in the half marathon (May 6).

Run and eat donuts, I say!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a busy, but fun, weekend!

Rhea said...

I am the official doughnut prosleytizer (sp?). Boston cremes are good. Strawberry frosted with sprinkles are even better.

Hey, update your blog. What's going on in your world?

Black Knight said...

25:37 with a lack of preparation is a very very good time. Congrats.

peter said...

Thanks for comin' by my place, Rich. Of course I remember you from MCM and the dinner before. You ran a good race that weekend, but I was really impressed when you went out only weeks later and nailed your sub 4-hour marathon. Whenever I ran marathons with less than 5 months in between, back when I was merely punching the ticket to get to ten, my time would always suffer (my knees, too). I thought I saw you in DC once and I was going to shout out--Rich! but then I thought, Hey Just 1-2 would really establish your true identity. The guy didn't turn, it warn't you.

i am Susan said...

You did a great job. I would love to have a time like that...Awesome!!!