Sunday, September 23, 2007

Tour des Fleurs 20K

It was a beautiful morning yesterday, even if I had to get up at 5:30am. Race time was 7:30am. A 15-mile LSD was on the docket, but this 20K presented a nice change of "pace" :-)

Plus, I got to run with the one and only Runner Susan! I called her when I got to the race, and she was just arriving with her friend from Ohio, Marta, and her mom.

Marta's fast. And she ran NYC last year, and she's running it again this year with Susan. They're going to have a blast. Anyone out there running NYC - go over to Susan's site and let her know. How can a meetup in NYC go wrong?

The race was at White Rock Lake, over some of the same route as the White Rock Marathon. Susan and I ran the first 3 miles together, and then we split up. The rest of the race just kind of flew by. I didn't really have a goal time in mind since this was just a training run. Instead, I was thinking about the hot dogs and beer that Susan said they laid out last year - that sounded really good during the run. By the time I finished though, all I wanted was water. I saw the free beer, but no sight or smell of hot dogs anywhere.

I finished in 1:59:22. Marta finished ahead of me, and Susan was behind me just a bit. Somehow I missed both of them at the finish! Oh well, we'll just have to do this again next year.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice race report.I run for food too :)
p.s. not houston

jeanne said...

isn't that always the way? no hot dogs and friends disappear. that's kind of deep when i write it out like that.

but...at least you got to run with her for 3 miles!

where are the PHOTOS?!?!

David said...

I would NEVER leave Susan unless she quit on me for some hot dog or free beer.

Runner Susan said...

you made up some serious time after you dropped me. Well done!

Anne said...

Too bad they ran out of weiners before you all arrived. But you're still one of the top dogs, Rich. And I love the photo of you and Susan and Marta on her blog.

Rhea said...

I guess one incentive to run fast is for the hot dogs! Nice pace for an LSD run, by the way. And so cool that you had another RBF meet-up.

peter said...

Broke two hours, it's always good to meet incentives along the way in races. Nice run.