Saturday, July 21, 2007

Got No Rhythm

It's so good to be back home this weekend. I managed to run only once this week, partly due to the feeling that I spent half the week in the air. From 7:00 pm Wednesday until 1:45 am Friday, I tried to get from Minneapolis to Detroit. My connection in Chicago was cancelled, so I was re-routed to fly on Thursday through - of all places - Dallas. So I hopped off in Dallas and worked from home for a bit, and at least had a chance to see the family.

I ran Tuesday morning in St Paul, starting downtown and crossing over the Mississippi River just 3 blocks from my hotel. St Paul is not a bustling place. There was hardly anyone about, maybe because it was 6:00 am? Even so, I was out there until about 6:45 am and saw only one other runner.

I crossed over and there was a decent, if deserted, park on the other side. I ran along the river for a bit, past some obligatory river boat restaurants, and then turned around and headed back. I often use these runs to clear my head of work stuff that weighs me down, and it helped this time too but I could've used a few more miles to deal with this week!

I missed the Too Hot To Handle 5K/15K today in Dallas. S. is taking a yoga class all weekend long, so I'm in charge of the girls today and tomorrow. I've already lost the soda battle, and I'm pretty sure the defense is crumbling on ice cream or gelato, and behind that I see a pizza or two waiting to burst out. Maybe tomorrow morning I'd better get these girls out of the house and to the park to get moving!

7 comments:

Rhea said...

I love that second photo of St. Paul on an early morning. It looks inviting to run in. Ice cream, soda and pizza with Dad on a summer weekend day. What could be better?!

David said...

You have no authority over those girls, do you? Wrapped right around their fingers. It seems it's always that way.....

Anne said...

Hey, you can blame the lack of will power on extended jet lag. Amazing what all that impacts when it has to. Besides, if we behaved all the time, how we we know what's good?

massoman said...

any excuse to have ice cream works for me.

Rae said...

That's a very calm looking place. It always blows my mind that the mighty Mississippi is all the way up there and all the way down here, too!

peter said...

My sister owns a yarnshop in St. Paul and I have run along the Mississippi while visiting her. Its stillness early in the morning is refreshing, cleansing, and makes you forget all those rolling hills along the banks. But I sure noticed those same rolling hills the year I did the TCM, which is a must-do race (running over Ol' Man River, how much better does it get?) since you're reflecting on what marathon to do next.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog on CRN. I laughed out loud at the last few sentences. Hope that weekend turned out ok.