Monday, June 25, 2007

Just Run Where You Can, Eh?

From where I sit in my hotel room, I can see the Toronto airport maybe a mile or so away. Every few minutes, a plane flies overhead coming in for a landing, close enough that you hear it go ssssccrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooowwwooosh, but at least the windows don't rattle. How nice.

I flew in last night, and I should've flown out tonight, but my flight got cancelled. I'm on a 7:10 am flight tomorrow morning to San Antonio, then I'm hopefully home tomorrow night. Today is S&S's birthday. Yes, I know, it's not a good thing to miss birthdays and holidays, and in their 11 years of existence, I don't think I've missed any. We celebrated a day earlier on Sunday with family, and they've had a friend and a cousin stay over the weekend and again tonight, so they've been in extended party mode for a few days now.

Back to running ... Toronto should be a nice place to run. I was here several years back with S. and remember the downtown waterfront area to be quite picturesque. Unfortunately, when I went out for a run this morning, the airport area was predictably much less scenic, unless you enjoy views of offsite rental car lots, highway interchanges, and fast food drive throughs. I did eventually reach a residential area, and it had a nice greenbelt that was deserted and peaceful. It was a nice change of pace and scenery. I got in about 4-5 miles and that was good enough for me.

8 comments:

Ryan V. said...

What the heck do you do for a living? Seems like you're always on the road.

Anne said...

I know missing family birthdays, even if celebrated early, can really weigh on you while you're on the road. You seem to have your share of airline snafus. I think I'll stop complaining about my own.

David said...

Aren't you the guy who spent about a "year" in Hawaii? and you don't know what Friday night is all about?
I'm dispatching Jeanne to meet you im San Antonio. Don't leave the airport.

Unknown said...

Looks like a nice stretch of greenway to run on. Good find.

I'm with gandaman.... I am curious...

jeanne said...

i'm on my way...

now back to Toronto...you sayin' there's something wrong with rental car lots, highways and drive thrus??

Some people are sooo hard to please.

now spill with the secret agent stuff.

Deene said...

i'm with gandaman and jeanne, you sure travel a great deal.
4-5 miles not bad when you're away from home.

Rhea said...

So nice that you're there for their birthdays! I bet that means a lot. I still have to go back and fully read your Hawaii posts, but I seem to recall you and the fam having a blast.

Black Knight said...

Sometimes it's hard to find the right place to run when you are far from home.
Congrats for your 5K: 26.07 is not pure fun but a real running. Come hell or high water: Deep Purple memories!!!!