Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Diamond Head 10K

In years past, the good people of Hawaii lined up to run a half marathon last Sunday through the streets of Honolulu. I would have had the privilege of lining up with them too, if they hadn’t cancelled the event a couple of months ago. :-(

Instead, I lined up for my own 6-ish mile loop run, retracing a familiar path I took when we were here a couple of years ago. It’s one of my all-time favorite routes, and I couldn’t wait to get it going again. Starting at dawn, I ran on Kalakaua Avenue towards Waikiki Beach, which was already buzzing with activity. Dozens of surfers were already in the water at first light, and others were making their way down. Running through Waikiki, it’s always an eclectic mix of surfers, runners, mostly Japanese and American tourists, and local old-timers all drawn to this one spot on the map by some magical appeal.


From Waikiki, I ran through Kapiolani Park, a wide expanse of green grass and palm trees. Here you run into dozens of runners either coming or going to Diamond Head, and the occasional biker with a little something more than biking on their mind.


At the other end of Kapiolani Park is the beginning of Diamond Head Road. It’s only about a mile to the highest point that the road will take you, on a one lane road with private homes on the right and the hillside sloping up on the left.


When you get to the lookout point, that's when the run was all worth it:


I ran a similar route again this morning, but instead of starting out on Kalakaua Avenue, I started out on the beach. This is view from my start line, with my destination Diamond Head straight ahead.

6 comments:

Deene said...

wonderful views!

peter said...

That last shot shows a daunting view! You run all that way, then up to the top? Whew.

Runner Susan said...

Am. So. Jealous.

massoman said...

lucky dog! hill runs in paradise!

jeanne said...

i'll stop being snarky and just say: so beautiful. And the cameraman ain't so bad either!

Rhea said...

So, so beautiful! Makes me want to run a marathon in Hawai'i. There's the Big Island marathon in spring, which may not be a bad one in terms of hot weather and humidity.