Sunday, April 27, 2008

Opryland

I'm back from a week-long annual sales conference in Nashville last week with my new employer. It wasn't the boondoggle I've experienced with other companies. A maniacal boot camp would be a much more apt description.

Starting Sunday night, it was close down the bar, get up early, work sessions all day, dinner, back to the bar. In anticipation that each passing day would make it more difficult to run and drink, I dragged myself to the hotel gym at 5:30 am on Monday, ran outside at 6:00 am on Tuesday, 6:30 am on Wednesday, and threw in the towel after that.

We were at the Gaylord Opryland all week, which was quite nice actually. Regrettably, the crazy schedule didn't allow me to meet up with Rae and Brent. I did run by the cultural highlight of their town, I think, as the Grand Ole Opry was right next to the hotel. Not that exciting though, at the crack of dawn.


All was not lost, as I stumbled across this gem on the outskirts of the hotel, which I think would be exciting at any time of day (and twice as much on Daisy Duke day):

14 comments:

Iron Jayhawk said...

Aww...this makes me miss Nashvegas! I lived there for a while ya know! :)

peter said...

What's the address of that Cooters? I might be in Nashville someday visiting my former running buddy A.

You were in Nashville and you didn't run the concurrent Nashville M? Low heart Slow start training not going well? :)

Rae said...

It stinks that your conference was so demanding!! Maybe next time they'll give you a free night. And there are always TONS of Dukes of Hazard things going on here with the cast members. I have no clue what that has to do with Nashville though.....it's odd!

Anne said...

What, you didn't get enough carbs at the bar to pull you through a few more morning runs?!

Deene said...

it's probably those early morning workouts that got you through a hectic conference, what with bar and all!

DawnB said...

please invite me along next time, I would love to experience "A maniacal boot camp" cause i don't think in my 30+ years of corp america have I had the pleasure!!

David said...

Some of us just have to carry the load for the rest of us. Thanks for being our bar boot camp designee.

Unknown said...

"cooters" ?!?!? I wouldn't believe it had you not taken the photo...

UltraMamaC said...

there is a nice park about two miles away from the hotel that I found last time I was there (it's down off the interstate, away from the Opry side). I was staying at some cheap hotel since the Gaylord was sold out for our conference. It's a nice running town, from what little I saw -- tons of road construction, though.

Black Knight said...

For people of my age, born in Italy, Nashville is a myth, a dream. Music and relax!

Unknown said...

Cooter's??? Whoa...

peter said...

Hey Rich. The fork fell out. Done?

DawnB said...

where are you

Old School Runner said...

Better Cooter's than Cooties. Sometimes I wonder whether it's harder or easier to squeeze a workout in on a business trip. Guess it depends on the schedule.