Saturday, August 18, 2007

Speed Bump

Could it be there's trouble ahead? I said I would run Memphis for fun and as a tune-up to Disney, but I started my training plan gunning for a PR. No need to wait, trouble's already here ...

This is my 3rd week of training. My EZ runs and LSD runs have been workable, even it takes some effort to complete on time. My pace runs have been off the mark, and today, it was way off. It was only a 5-mile pace run. I had to stop 3 times during the run, which almost always never happens, and finally, I decided I was just plain out of gas.

It's been a tough week at work, and that might have had something to do with it. One of those weeks where on Monday morning, you're already wondering how in the world you're going to make it to Friday.

Or it could have been last night when I passed out around 8:00, and then was up at 2:00 am watching Hawaii 5-0 reruns from Netflix. It's amusing watching how they operated back then without cellphones, internet access, or A/C in their cars in Honolulu, all while wearing a suit and tie. Hmm, come to think of it, that theme song might not be a bad running song!

Anyway, one bad run does not a season make. I'll just keep plugging along. LSD run tomorrow; at a slow enough pace, I can go forever.

9 comments:

peter said...

Hmm, bad runs, they always feel a lot worse than they really are in the overall scheme of things.

David said...

There's alway the opportunity to redeem yourself and drink some more of that Kool-Aid next time that makes you want to run some more and some more and some more.

Anonymous said...

Two brain catchy songs in two posts - ugh - they are know rolling around in my head. But, it is a great idea for some new tunes on my player - they have a great beat.

Anne said...

Think of it this way: If we didn't have bad runs now and then, how would we ever really appreciate the good ones? Now go get 'em, Danno.

Rhea said...

You have plenty of time to ramp up the pace, so don't worry. And definitely, work is a big factor. Or sometimes, as in my case, not working. With the all the travel we've been doing, not to mention packing, moving, buying a house in Tahoe and renting a house in LA, my training has gone to the dogs in the past week.

Now I can't get the "Hawaii Five-O" theme song out of my head.

Deene said...

bad runs are just to remind us how good we have it the rest of the time!

Ryan V. said...

Given the Texas heat, I wouldn't worry too much. My pace has slowed dramatically this summer, but I'm blaming it on the sun and the humidity. Keep moving. It'll cool off eventually.

jeanne said...

hey that's my motto! "at a slow enough pace, i can run forever!"

it looks like your "bad" run was due to you being such a GIVER! (I read ahead.)

and yeah, thanks to you, i'll be humming hawaii 5-0 as i drift off to sleep tonight.
hey, thanks.
:)

Unknown said...

No Cellphones??? Eeeek!