Friday, February 03, 2006

The Heartbeat of a Lifetime

Die-hard readers of this blog ;) may remember my Christmas-to-New-Year's runs last year for my daughter's 4th grade science project. It was due this week, and I had promised an update, so here it is. First, the project hypothesis:


Sparing you the gory details, here's skipping to the results ...


So it's a little low-tech, but that just adds to the authenticity and originality of the work! The bar chart shows clock time for the 1/2 mile run (3:47, 4:20, 4:12, 4:15, 3:52, 4:15, 4:12). The line graph shows ending heart rate (144, 120, 108, 102, 102, 102, 102). Q.E.D.!

I'm proud of the effort Stephanie put into this. It was fun running with her. She was and still is in reasonably good shape because she's into gymnastics, and I was almost afraid I wouldn't be able to keep up with her since I was, after all, on my running vacation. When she gets a little older, we may have to try this running thing again for real. Way to go Steph!

3 comments:

Anne said...

Sounds like Steph is a natural born scientist. Nice to see the collaboration was so successful.

Rae said...

What fun!! That's a great bonding experience. Much better than the "can plants live w/o sunlight" project I did in school!

Black Knight said...

It's wonderful to share the hobbies with the children. Indeed the study and the graphic (and running together) are a very good job.